[Samba] Very Slow!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Sep 6 07:48:04 GMT 2008

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:54:53PM -0500, Gregory Carter wrote:
>> Oh, and BY THE WAY.
>>
>> I do not want to be a total cynic, but you are expecting samba to
>> replace a software product that the SuSE corporation directly receives
>> MILLIONS in contributions from, said vendor of product it is replacing.
>> (Microsoft.)
>

> Lars and Jim at SuSE are both Samba Team members, and there is no
> question of any corruption or source code changes in SuSE
> that are detremental to Samba.
>
> Whilst not getting into distro-wars, worries about the
> state of Samba in SuSE is *NOT* a reason to change your
> distribution from SuSE to any other.
>
> Jeremy.

That I will personally confirm with flawless samba operation at my office for
over 8 years and on SuSE since 8.0. (we just won't mention those older gotchas
like "rabbit pellet packet fragmentation, that little UID GID snafu or the
little bugger in 3.2.1) All of which I can safely say SuSE had nothing to do
with;-)

Seriously, we have samba running on an older production box with an athlon 2800
and SuSE 10.3. We have no problems at all xfering the video files we deal with
on a regular basis. (3 -  8 Gig range) Transferring to or from win machines
isn't any noticeably faster or slower than ftp, or rsync. Ah, the beauty of a
stand-alone setup....

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC