[Samba] method to simulate domain logon from a node?

Thu Sep 4 15:55:11 GMT 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 08:31:04AM -0700, David Mathog wrote:
> Is there a .bat script or, better yet, remote method to induce a
> Windows machine to  remove itself from a domain, reboot, add itself
> back, and reboot?  I had to do that on 8 machines to get them all
> working again, and it was a  major pain having to do this manually.
> Rebuilding the machine records in the smbpasswd file is always needed
> after cloning, and I can see this as being a major amount of work for a
> site with many, many clones machines.

Thanks to Günther Deschner, Samba 3.2 contains

bin/net dom join
usage: net dom join <domain=DOMAIN> <ou=OU> <account=ACCOUNT> <password=PASSWORD> <reboot>
  Join a remote machine
usage: net dom unjoin <account=ACCOUNT> <password=PASSWORD> <reboot>
  Unjoin a remote machine

Volker