[Samba] Inherit Owner

Chris Dent Chris.Dent at monitisegroup.com
Thu Sep 4 12:30:32 GMT 2008

Hi,

I'm having difficultly getting Inherit Owner to work. I'm running the following:

Solaris 10 (patch 6, I think)
Samba 3.2.1
Joined to AD Domain

I've been compiling Samba with:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba --exec-prefix=/usr/local/samba --enable-nss-wrapper --enable-cups --with-ads --with-pam --with-acl-support --with-krb5=/usr/local --with-ldap LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/samba/lib" CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include

Which works for the most part except for a number of complaints about PAM (here's a snippet for that):

Compiling nsswitch/pam_winbind.c
nsswitch/pam_winbind.c: In function `_pam_get_item':
nsswitch/pam_winbind.c:42: warning: passing arg 3 of `pam_get_item' from incompatible pointer type

Once installed, it all works well, I can join my AD domain and authentication passes neatly. Smb.conf doesn't contain much that's exceptional, here are a few snippets from that:

 [Global]
# Permission settings
inherit permissions = yes
inherit acls = yes
inherit owner = yes
[Test Drive]
   path = /home/%U/
   volume = Test
   valid users = @DOMAIN+"domain users"

Permission on the parent directory are set to <TheUser>:Domain Admins. I had hoped I could force that permission to apply to newly created files and directories under the root. Except they won't. Testing on both ZFS and UFS file systems, but no changes in behaviour between the two.

I tried to upgrade to Samba 3.2.2, but I can't seem to overcome it's inability to find the libraries for libtalloc.so at run-time.

Chris

This message contains confidential and proprietary information of the sender, and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying, disclosure or taking of any action in reliance upon it by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the e-mail sender immediately, and delete the original message without making a copy.

The Monitise group comprises: Monitise plc (Reg. No. 6011822), Monitise Group Limited (Reg. No. 5590897), Monitise International Limited (Reg. No. 5556711) and Monitise Business Solutions Limited (Reg. No. 5814266). These companies are registered in England and Wales and their registered office address is: Providian House, 16-18 Monument Street, London, EC3R 8AJ, United Kingdom.