[Samba] Re: Samba server as part of AD domain keeps asking for username and password

Wolfgang.Mair at Emerson.com Wolfgang.Mair at Emerson.com
Thu Sep 4 12:33:38 GMT 2008

From: samba-bounces+wolfgang.mair=emerson.com at lists.samba.org
Sent: Donnerstag, 4. September 2008 13:08
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] Re: Samba server as part of AD domain keeps asking for

> [woma]
> comment = test folder for ads
> path = /home/woma
> browseable = yes
> read only = No
> guest ok = no
> create mask = 0770
> directory mask = 0770

guest ok = no -> Result is you have to authenticate if you want to
access this share !

So you have to to define a "valid user" list:

valid user = DOMAIN\user or @DOMAIN\group or both !

The \ between DOMAIN and user or group is given by the parameter:

winbind separator = ....

Default ist: \

If you set "guest ok = yes" then i'am sure you will have no use/password
prompt ! Then you dont need a "valid user = .." list.

bye,
Andy