[Samba] upgrade broke XP workstation logins, variably

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Wed Sep 3 17:06:51 GMT 2008

Perhaps this is relevant?  I temporarily allowed file and print sharing
connections from the local subnet on the saf01 workstation, then did:

% smbclient -L saf01 -U 'saf01/Administrator%(password)'
Domain=[SAF] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
(SNIP - shares were shown correctly)
Domain=[SAF] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SAF01
        SAFSERVER            Samba Server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        SAF                  SAF01
        WORKGROUP            CONSTANTIN-PC

Shouldn't the Master for the SAF workgroup (the domain safserver
controls) be listed as SAFSERVER and not SAF01?  Safserver certainly
thinks it is the domain master, from this in log.nmbd

  Samba name server SAFSERVER is now a local master browser for
workgroup SAF on subnet 131.215.12.42

But the machine saf01 seems to be confused.  Even stranger, when I did this:

% smbclient -L saf01 -U 'saf/mathog%(password)'
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

and subsequently

% smbclient -L saf01 -U 'saf01/Administrator%(password)'
Domain=[SAF] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
(SNIP - shares shown correctly)
Domain=[SAF] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

That is, nothing listed under either Server or Workgroup.

Conversely:

% smbclient -L safserver -U 'saf/mathog%(password)'
Domain=[SAF] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28a]
(SNIP - shares shown correctly)
Domain=[SAF] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28a]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SAF01
        SAFSERVER            Samba Server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        SAF                  SAFSERVER
        WORKGROUP            CONSTANTIN-PC

Which is as it should be.  The login worked

The XP workstation is at SP3, and it was upgraded to that shortly before
the server was upgraded.  I know I tested network logins ONCE after
upgrading, but since it works sometimes, by pure bad luck it may have
worked that one time.  Are there any known SP3 issues with certain
versions of Samba?

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu