[Samba] Unable to Join Domain

Greg Koch greg at ekingme.com
Tue Sep 2 04:26:05 GMT 2008

I recently setup a new server with CentOS 5.2.  Everything works great on
the server except when I try to join the domain it simply tells me:

    "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "Domain":

    The user name could not be found.

I have researched this error and attempted a number of fixes but have been
unable to resolve the issue.  I am able to connect to the server with the
user name and password that I am using to join the domain (I know that
isn't the user name its really talking about) and browse (read/write) the
network shares.  I have read the last entry in the log pertaining to the
domain join request, and it is telling me that useradd could not write to
the password file...  Anyone have an idea of what is causing this?  Below
is the error and my smb.conf.  I created the smb.conf from a guide at
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-samba-servers.html
and added some settings based on previous servers.

smbd.log
[2008/09/01 22:07:44, 0]
passdb/pdb_interface.c:pdb_default_create_user(329)
  _samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false
-d /dev/null -g machines sy01$' gave 1

smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = NMTWeb
        netbios name = devserver
        time server = yes
        security = user
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null
-g machines %u
        logon drive = U:
        domain logons = Yes
        oslevel = 35