[Samba] how to setup an open share?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 02:27:42 GMT 2008

Using samba-3.2.4, on Fedora 9.

I want to create a universally writeable, browseable share. If you're on
the network, you can use it. No passwords, any user.

Which I tried to do with this smb.conf, which doesn't work from Windows:

[global]
	workgroup = NEW_NET
         server string = asterisk server in closet
         netbios name = Video_Server_in_Closet
          bind interfaces only = yes
         interfaces = lo 10.10.11.0/24
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	log level = 3
	security = user
	passdb backend = tdbsam
	domain master = no
	preferred master = no
	guest ok = yes
         browseable = yes

[storage]
	comment = Video-storage
	path = /home/video/storage
	writeable = yes
	browseable = yes
         public = yes
	guest ok = yes

 From another linux box,
smbclient "\\<server>\storage"

asks for root's password, but just hitting enter gets me in.

OTOH, on windows ( vista) I get a request for user and password :(

I want to be able to just click on it in Windows and access it.

Is the problem it's in /home/video? move it to /opt??

Any help appreciated.

sean