[Samba] SAMBA: how do I tell SAMBA to not prompt for id/passwords when connecting from windows (vista)

Robert Wickberg rwickberg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 15:03:43 GMT 2008

If you don't want to be prompted for user names and passwords, one hint
is to make sure you use the same username and password on both the samba
boxes and the windows boxes, as windows will try to use your current
account's username and password when connecting to a server, and will
only prompt if that doesn't work.

Sometimes I run into problems with this if the account in question has
no password, so use one on both machines.  If you don't want to be
bothered logging in each time you start the windows box, type "control
userpasswords2" at a command prompt in Windows and you can set the
machine up to automatically log in at startup to an account which does
have a password.  (haven't tried this on Vista, works on Win2000 and
winXP).

Even if the accounts are different, if you map a network drive in
Windows to the samba server, tell it to reconnect at logon, click the
option that says use a different user name, tell it what the user name
and password are, then the windows box will remember the samba account,
and use that account for all connections to that samba server.