[Samba] high cpu load

Matt Finlayson mfinlayson at vancouver.wsu.edu
Fri Oct 24 17:20:10 GMT 2008

Jeremy, - Thanks for your help...

We use a default user profile stored in the netlogon share.  NTUSER.DAT
does redirect the following folders:

Registry = [Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders]

Value <AppData> of type REG_EXPAND_SZ, data length 74 [0x4a]
H:\.windows_settings\Application Data

Value <Desktop> of type REG_EXPAND_SZ, data length 56 [0x38]
H:\.windows_settings\Desktop

Value <Personal> of type REG_EXPAND_SZ, data length 30 [0x1e]
H:\My Documents

Value <Programs> of type REG_EXPAND_SZ, data length 80 [0x50]
H:\.windows_settings\Start Menu\Programs

Value <Recent> of type REG_EXPAND_SZ, data length 54 [0x36]
H:\.windows_settings\Recent

Value <Start Menu> of type REG_EXPAND_SZ, data length 62 [0x3e]
H:\.windows_settings\Start Menu

Value <Startup> of type REG_EXPAND_SZ, data length 96 [0x60]
H:\.windows_settings\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Value <My Pictures> of type REG_EXPAND_SZ, data length 54 [0x36]
H:\My Documents\My Pictures

We also add a REG_DWORD value named DeleteRoamingCache to the following
registry key:
\DeleteRoamingCache

we also change the grouppolicy to exclude these directories in the
roaming profile:
Local Settings;Temporary Internet Files;History;Temp;My
Documents;Desktop;Recent;Start Menu;Application Data

Shouldn't the combination of these things prevent excess network traffic
related to loading a roaming profile?

We are using a default profile that was prepared on Win2k but all our
machines are fully patched XPpro.  Should we freshen up the Default User
items in the netlogon folder?

-
Thanks,

Matt Finlayson
School of Engineering and Computer Science
WSU Vancouver
360-546-9226

-