[Samba] question about smbmount as user

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Thu Oct 23 14:36:21 GMT 2008

Hi,

It has been a while since I used samba so for all purposes I could be seen
as a newbie.

Recently I installed samba and ran into a problem mounting shares as a user.
I can work around this, no problem, but I'm curious about the *why*.
Searching the mailing list (and other resources) did not reveal this
problem, that's why I ask here.

Samba version 3.2.4
mount.cifs version 1.11-3.2.4

When mounting a share as a normal user, the mountpoint has to be owned by
the user and needs to have at least u=rwx.

This means I can no longer set the mountpoint like so:
d---------  2 root root  4096 Oct 23 14:58 someshare

After modifying line 1255 of mount.cifs.c >>> if((statbuf.st_uid ==
getuid()) && (S_IRWXU == (statbuf.st_mode & S_IRWXU))) { <<< into >>> if(1)
{ <<<, I get what I think I want. A user can mount that share and the
directory mode allows accessing the directory but only if mounted.

That line is not put in just to show off. This means I'm probably
overlooking some security issue here. Can someone please enlighten me?

By the way, if a developer reads this:  "mount.cifs -V" does not show the
version number. "mount.cifs x -V" does. Line 1051 prohibits this:  if (argc
 > 2) {...} else {mount_cifs_usage();exit(1);}  Removing that else-block does
not, at a first glance, seem to have unwanted effects.