[Samba] unix password sync not working

Andrei Mikhailovsky mlists at arhont.com
Thu Oct 23 13:37:39 GMT 2008

Hi

I am having problems with synchronisation of samba passwords with unix
passwords. I have set the following in my smb.conf:

unix password sync = Yes
pam password change = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Re*ype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n \
passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
passwd chat debug = yes

When trying to change the unix password i have the following:

samba # smbpasswd bill
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:

The samba password is changed, however, the unix password in /etc/shadow
is not altered. Even though I have set the passwd chat debug option to
Yes, I do not see any entries in the log file when I run smbpasswd. The
log level is set to 10.

What am I missing here?

Many thanks

Andrei