[Samba] Question about switching from Windows 2k Server to SAMBA 3 under Centos

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Tue Oct 21 07:03:05 GMT 2008

>> My understanding is that vampire will NOT work with a Windows 2k server,
>> only an NT4 server...
>
> That's my understanding too. Samba (3.x) can't act as a AD domain
> server. It can be a member of an AD domain, thou.

I've never actually tried this myself, so take it with a grain of salt,
but isn't 2k capable or running in two different modes? One where it is
pure AD and one where it is compatible with NT4? If it was in NT4 mode
then might not vampire have a chance?

Or am I thinking of some 2k->2k3 change maybe?

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>