[Samba] Two questions

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Mon Oct 20 17:51:44 GMT 2008

1) A lot (but not all) of my smbd / nmbd logs are going to
/var/log/messages instead of /var/log/samba/  I tried a couple of things
in syslog.conf, but just don't know the magic word for samba logs.

2) I'm getting lots of "couldn't find service" errors.  I had:

[data]
        path = /data
        read only = no
        public = yes
        browseable = yes
        writeable = yes
        force user = nfsnobody
        force group = nfsnobody
        guest ok = yes

The netbios name is stb-data, and it was complaining about "couldn't
find service stb-data".  I changed the stanza to:

[stb-data]
        path = /data
        comment = STB Group file server
        read only = no
        public = yes
        browseable = yes
        writeable = yes
        force user = nfsnobody
        force group = nfsnobody
        guest ok = yes

And now I get "couldn't find service data"  Everything seems to work OK,
but I get dozens of lines about this, and it would be nice to just not
have to see them.  How do I get rid of the "couldn't find service"
errors?