[Samba] Closing sessions and smbstatus

Steve Rippl rippls at woodlandschools.org
Mon Oct 20 17:53:09 GMT 2008

Hi,

When are client sessions closed?

Let me explain what I'm trying to do...  we're in a School district and
we try to stop kids logging more than once.  They way I did this before
was to dump the active sessions from our previous Server2003 fileserver
into a file once a minute and process it with a Perl script to check who
was connected from where, rebooting machines remotely as needed!  This
work well enough with the odd 'hung' session causing minor problems.

So now I'm trying to do the same thing with our new Samba (3.0.31)
fileserver using the output from smbstatus.  However, in many cases
sessions are still in there long after the user has logged out of the
machine.  I'm even seeing two sessions for different people on the same
machine with the same pid number!  How is this working?  Why are not all
sessions ending when the user logs off?  Am I going to be able to use
this for what I'm trying to do?!!

The fileserver itself is working great, we have over 2000 users happily
using it with less problems than we had on the Windows box.  I really
appreciate all the work the Samba team does!

Many thanks,

Steve Rippl
Woodland School District