[Samba] Question about switching from Windows 2k Server to SAMBA 3 under Centos

Matthew Delves matt.delves at itdepartment.com.au
Mon Oct 20 04:00:41 GMT 2008

Greetings List,

I'll begin by outlining what it is that I have to do. First, I have a
windows 2k server that is currently on its last legs. It holds a list
of users, groups and shares that are still required after the
migration to a Linux based server.

I've heard of a command called 'vampire' that extracts the required
users and groups, though as of yet have been unsuccessful in getting
this to work.

I've also setup an OpenLDAP server with LDAP Account Manager and can
input data manually, though for some weird reason, vampire just
doesn't want to work.

My questions are:
1) What is required for the smb.conf to get it talking to the windows
2k server?
2) What other environment configuration is required to get vampire to
work correctly?

Thanks,
Matthew Delves