[Samba] Different IPs on a samba server #2

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Fri Oct 17 14:15:42 GMT 2008

Ok, I have played with this some more.

Here is my setup.

I have a local network 10.0.x.x/255.255.0.0
I have an off site network 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0
The samba server is also my wins server and has the ip 10.0.0.2 on my
local network.  This is the only NIC in the Samba server.
My firewall/router server shows the following from netstat -r

Destination---Gateway----------GenMask-----------Iface
192.168.0.0---*----------------255.255.255.0------eth2
10.0.0.0------*----------------255.255.0.0--------eth1
127.0.0.0-----*----------------255.0.0.0----------lo

eth1 is 10.0.0.1 (in the firewall/router)
eth2 is 192.168.0.254 (in the firewall/router)

Everything works fine from my local network as far as accessing the samba
server.  From the 192.168 network, it does not though.  If I go to a
workstation Start->Run and type in \\samba_servername it tells me the
network is not found.  If I type in \\samba_ipaddress\share then it gives
me a logon prompt, but it will never authenticate, it just keeps asking
for the password like I typed the wrong one.  Both of these work fine from
the 10.0. network.

I added 'hosts allow = 10.0 192.168.0 localhost' in the smb.conf thinking
that this would allow both networks, but I guess this is not the case.

Is there anything else that I need to do to access the samba server?  It
is a domain controller as well (not sure if that will make any difference
as far as connection from the other IP addresses).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.  I am not sure if I need to be looking
at some routing in my firewall, or something in my Samba server.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?