[Samba] How does the "guest account" param work?

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Fri Oct 17 07:18:13 GMT 2008

Kyle wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded. A combination of mails helped answer most
> questions. I had _completely_ missed the 'map to guest' param. So now
> I can log on to a share as a guest with no passwd.
>
> However, I have to know the share I want to log onto. I am still
> unable to browse the WORKGROUP itself.
>
> Am I wrong in this?
Theoretically this should all just happen automatically, in the real
world the broadcast method of finding hosts and workgroups is pretty
flakey. MS worked around this by creating WINS, which is sort of like
DNS for SMB. All MS servers since way back when have handed out WINS
settings via DHCP out of the box. Under *nix, you need to tell your DHCP
server to hand out a WINS server (or specify it on each machine manually).

On an unrelated note, your smb.conf is overly complex, you are
specifying a lot of settings where the defaults are most likely entirely
suitable. You might find it easier in the long term to start over again
with the standard config that ships with samba and only add settings
that you actually need. (e.g. messing with buffer settings has been
depreciated for quite some years).

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>