[Samba] samba file server in active directory domain - manage acls

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Oct 17 01:53:58 GMT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 02:18:13PM +0200, Mikael Kermorgant wrote:
> By switching to samba, we face a set of challenges :
>
> * Joining the domain and retrieving users and groups from the windows domain
> to the samba server.
> As I know, this is ok and is well done with winbind

Yep, winbind will fix this.

> * Changes to our security policy. We will have to manage security at the
> linux/samba level and this raises some questions:
> - is it still possible to keep the security management at the file level (by
> giving full control at the share level and thus eliminating botherings on
> this side) ? I know there are some limitations when mapping posix acls to
> windows one but that might be acceptable.
>
> - I've tried to manage posix acls on ext3 via konqueror which I could find a
> good alternative to windows' gui but I'd prefer a web front end. Would you
> have some nice web gui to recommend ?

I don't know of any web gui to modify POSIX ACLs, mostly people ssh
in and use getfacl/setfacl directly.

If you set the options :

"dos filemode = yes"
"inherit owner = yes"

and set the setgid bit on the share directory then this will
have a similar effect to Windows "group ownership" of files,
so users in the same group as the containing directory will
have access as though they were owners.

Jeremy.