[Samba] Problems with file locking over gnome-vfs (esp. OpenOffice.org)

Thu Oct 16 16:49:54 GMT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 09:30:03AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > Also, I read somewhere that maybe mounting the shares with cifs could
> > work, but I'm not sure how to do that in gnome-vfs?
>
> Ok, the reason it works between XP -> XP is that the XP clients
> open with deny modes (not locking) that prevent two simultaneous
> read/write opens.
>
> The reason it works XP -> Linux is the same as the above. The
> XP client opens with DENY_WRITE, the Linux client opens with
> DENY_NONE - these modes conflict. Not a great error message,
> from the Gnome VFS open, but there you go. Probably doesn't
> know what to do with the lower level "sharing violation"
> error from libsmbclient.
>
> The one that bites is Linux -> Linux. This is because
> the Gnome VFS has no locking primitives (not an expert
> on Gnome VFS so people with more knowledge feel free
> to contradict me).

Just FYI: I'm just coming from a customer with exactly this
problem using cifs.ko. OpenOffice 2 is just broken when it
comes to cross-platform locking. Period.

OpenOffice 3 does this differently with a vi-like lock file.
This is not locked, but has the cleanup problem if a client
has crashed and a different user wants to open the file.

Volker