[Samba] processes not closing

Doug Tucker tuckerd at engr.smu.edu
Wed Oct 15 21:02:12 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 09:32 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 09:21:53AM -0500, Doug Tucker wrote:
> >

> > > It's not self-healing if you use kill -9, it could never be so.
> > >
> > > Jeremy.
> >
> > Jeremy, well, I gave up and rebooted to one kernel back, and wallah, you
> > are correct, it fixed the problem.  And, it cleared up some horrible
> > slowness we had been seeing as well.  For anyone else out there having
> > this issue, I was running this CenotOS kernel:
> >
> > 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 23 17:30:51 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386
> > GNU/Linux
>
> Great ! That restores my faith in the way the universe works :-). Glad
> you solved your problem.
>
> Jeremy.

Hate to do this, but upon further review....now that it's been running
for a week, I'm seeing the same issue.  Clients disconnecting and
leaving a ton of processes in smbstatus.  I can now kill -9 and restart
the smb process, but restarting is hard to do with users having files
open all day long.  Any ideas?