[Samba] Profile loading/saving on gigabit network only runs at fast ethernet speeds! Help!

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Tue Oct 14 18:39:25 GMT 2008

page 211 of samba 3 by example.pdf has instructions on how to redirect
folders using registry changes.  you can easily redirect my documents by
right clicking on it and changing the target.  i don't save files to my
desktop because that just results in a cluttered desktop and large
roaming profiles.  No I don't think VMWare will run much slower than it
is now.  In testing on my Poweredge servers, desktop PCs, etc, it seems
in my experience that hard drives max out at reads/writes of 25
megabytes a second, and even 100megabit transfers about 12 megabytes a
second on a switched network.  I'd probably try a test, take a user,
redirect my documents to a folder on the server, put the VM in it, and
run it, and see how it affects your performance, you may not notice
anything different.  I ran Windows XP and Fedora 8 on Microsoft Virtual
PC in a test environment on my 100 megabit notebook PC with the VMs
stored on a shared drive on a file server and I didn't notice much of a
difference as running an operating system locally.