[Samba] Samba PDC - Usernames with over 20 characters are not working with Vista SP1

Andrei Mikhailovsky mlists at arhont.com
Tue Oct 14 17:07:25 GMT 2008

Bruno, thanks for the reply.

Having read through the section i have found the information on the
group name limitations, which are mostly related to Unix like system.
>From there, windows 200x systems support group names of 254 characters.
It doesn't actually say anything about username limitations.

I have no problem using long usernames in Samba + Linux client - all
works fine and I am able to login.

However, the problem is with Samba + Windows Vista SP1 and usernames
longer then 20 characters. On the other hand, Samba + Windows Vista
(without SP1 installed) works fine.

However, this problem does not happen with Microsoft 2003 AD + Vista
SP1. Therefore, the combination of Samba + Vista SP1 seems to result in
problems with logons using long usernames. I am using Samba 3.2.3 and
the same problem happens on Samba 3.0.28 and 3.0.31.

Andrei