[Samba] Profile loading/saving on gigabit network only runs at fast ethernet speeds! Help!

Mike Gallamore mike at mpi-cbg.de
Tue Oct 14 15:56:55 GMT 2008

I think your right there. What type of OS/VM software are you using?
Could you have the OS + common app bits in a virtual disk that is on
the local machine and the user profile, user specific applications all
in a seperate virtual disk that they get from the samba server? That
would probably trim the amount of traffic hugely.

Also since you have such a performance difference between the two
options maybe you'd be better off saving the VM image locally then
using a tool like a bash script/rsync whatever to copy the whole thing
over once it is a single or couple files. Here seperating the apps
from the data will help too because a big chunk might not need to be
sent again as it wouldn't change, but if it is only one file you might
end up sending the whole thing because someone made a little file. I'm
thinking that the VM program might be creating a bunch of little
bursty traffic for some reason which would cause the performance
degradation.