[Samba] Samba + LDAP PDC Vista SP1 logins stopped working

Andrei Mikhailovsky mlists at arhont.com
Mon Oct 13 16:48:51 GMT 2008

Hi All,

After upgrade to Vista SP1 the logins to Samba + LDAP PDC stopped
working. Looking further at the problem I have identified that the
problem is with the usernames that we have, which are name@<domain>.com.
For some reason beyond my understanding, it seems that the if the
username contains a dot "." followed by one or more character, I get the
following error in Vista:

The local Session Manager service failed the logon.
The data area passed to a system call is too small

If the username has no dots "." or the dot is the last character in the
username (for example username. ) the authentication works fine.

Initially I have thought that the problem is is entirely the fault of
SP1, however, I have tried to replicate the same setup on MS Active
directory server 2003 and authentication of the users with exactly the
same name works flawlessly.

I tried to enable debugging mode in Samba, however was not able to see
any error or warning messages, nor do I have anything useful in the
Vista event viewer. I am a little lost and have no idea how to fix this
issue.

Did anyone experience similar problems? Any tips or ideas would be great.

My setup is:

Linux Gentoo
Samba 3.0.32
LDAP 2.3.43

Windows client:
Windows Vista SP1 Business Edition with latest updates.

Many thanks

andrei