[Samba] Multiple Samba accounts with the rights of a single Unix account?

Peter Petrov lists at ppetrov.com
Sun Oct 12 21:13:28 GMT 2008

Is it possible to have a standalone Samba server map different
username/password pairs to a single Unix account? More specifically, I'll be
using an external passdb (pdb-mysql or LDAP), and each username will only
see a home directory with the same name. But I don't want to have to create
a separate Unix account / UID for each username/password, the restriction by
directory is enough. Instead, a single Unix account will be given rights to
access all home directories, and I want Samba to use it for all
username/password pairs.

Is such a setup possible? The 'username map' option is not suitable, because
the username is translated prior to authentication, so all usernames would
share the same password.