[Samba] Compile help for Solaris 10 x86, samba 3.0.28a deficient?

Jake Carroll jake.carroll at uq.edu.au
Sun Oct 12 05:55:01 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I've got an ongoing battle with samba shipped with Sun Solaris 10 in
it's current form (Samba version 3.0.28a) not wanting to talk to my
OpenLDAP master correctly. Essentially, under certain conditions, this
behaviour is observed, in the log.smbd:

[2008/10/11 08:54:03, 1, pid=13610] libsmb/cliconnect.c:(1451)
   Error connecting to 192.168.117.150 (Connection refused)
[2008/10/11 08:54:03, 0, pid=13610] auth/auth_server.c:(89)
   password server not available
[2008/10/11 08:54:03, 1, pid=13610] auth/auth_server.c:(247)
   password server is not connected (cli not initilised)

So, I went about logging this at a much more verbose level, which
hasn't really gotten me anywhere. I can't find an answer to what these
errors actually mean - and the only google hits on this specific
problem are my own posts.

I thought, "What if they have changed the way SPNEGO works in Mac OS X
10.5.5's implementation of their directory/kerberos KDC?"

I then thought that maybe Samba 3.0.28a (only a hunch, no way to prove
it) just wasn't up to the task, and that I should try compiling 3.2.4
for my hosts. I gave it a good shot. A really good shot - been at it
for a week now, with no joy. Thanks to all those here who have tried
to help out with it too!

I am looking for some very basic instructions with regard to compiling
samba. I want to compile Samba for Solaris 10 x86, with krb5 support,
with aio support. I don't really want or need ADS.

Unfortunately, try as I might, just hasn't panned out this way. Every
step of the way, something has gone wrong.

If someone could help me out from first principles with the basics,
such as the "influential environmental variables" :

   CC          C compiler command
   CFLAGS      C compiler flags
   LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
               nonstandard directory <lib dir>
   LIBS        libraries to pass to the linker, e.g. -l<library>
   CPPFLAGS    C/C++/Objective C preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include
dir> if
               you have headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
   CPP         C preprocessor

...and actually getting Solaris default/vanilla krb5 to configure,
make, make install correctly when one specifies --with-krb5=/usr/lib/
krb5, this would be most appreciated. Not even sure if I should be
using Sun Studio compiler or GCC.

I sort of hoped that somebody would release pre-built binaries for Sol
10 x86, unfortunately, all I can find on samba.org is a long way out
of date SPARC binary of 3.0.23.

Thanks for your time.

JC