[Samba] sambaPwdLastSet=0 vs sambaPwdMustChange=0

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Oct 9 14:27:52 GMT 2008

On Thursday 09 October 2008 05:51:09 mourik jan c heupink wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Something is unclear to me, maybe someone here can explain.
>
> I want to users to get the "you are required to change your password"
> dialogue, when they logon for the first time.
>
> According to the documentation setting sambaPwdMustChange=0 should work.
> However, on my setup, it does NOT work. The user can log on, but is NOT
> asked to change his or her password.
> (docs:
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html#id25
>86078)
>
> Then I tried using "net sam set pwdmustchangenow USERNAME yes" (which is
> I guess the native samba way of archiving this) and it DOES work, but by
> setting: sambaPwdLastSet=0 !
>
> So the question: are the samba docs wrong, or is my samba wrong?
>
> I'm running samba 3.0.26a on suse linux enterprise server 9, sp3, maybe
> the docs are for more recent samba versions only?

The docs you referred to above were written for 3.0.0.  It should function
today as it did in September 2003 when this documentation was written.

If this does not function as it should please file a bug report on
https://bugzilla.samba.org with a clear example that will enable one of us to
reproduce the problem.

Thanks.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra

"Don't do as I do; Show me better!" - Anonymous.