[Samba] Samba as PDC+OpenLDAP: unique login?

Joao Amancio jjamancio at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 13:35:06 GMT 2008

Hello all,

I'm new to OpenLDAP and a moderate Samba admin.
My nights became not so good while trying to get running OpenLDAP + Samba as
PDC on a Slackware 12.1 server...
Well, the scenario is:

I have a functional and already running OpenLDAP base that provides login
for users on Web apps.
My actual PDC is an old MS NT4 Server.

I'm using the default Samba (v. 3.0.28a) installed by Slackware 12.1 distro.
Samba (configured as PDC) and OpenLDAP (v. 2.4.11) are on the same server.

Questions:

   1. There is a way to populate Samba (users, groups) with the OpenLDAP
   base?
   2. It's really needed to get users at: linux local system, samba and
   openldap? Where's is the "single sign on" idea in this case?

Thanks for suggestions,
João Ferreira