[Samba] Unable to modify TDB passwd ERROR

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Wed Oct 8 06:34:17 GMT 2008

jason at jasonn.com wrote:
> I'm trying to track down why I can't seem to add a computer to the domain.
>   I've looked high and low to no avail.  Right now, when I try to add the
> computer as a "trusted machine," I've added it to the Unix passwd dB with
> the appropriate machinename$ and the added the machine to the dmbpasswd
> via:
>
> smbpasswd -a -m machinename
>
> But, when I go to add the machine to the domain, I get the error that this
> computer has no account on the domain.  It then gives me the screen to key
> in an administrator username and password (and the domain), and then I get
> a "cant' find user or bad password," error from Windows.  I assume that
> means I've not created a proper automated script, haven't properly
> elevated the user to the "ADMINS GROUP" or perhaps it can't talk to the
> SMB server properly.
>
> Here's what it shows in the log created by that machine's attempt to log
> onto the network:
>
> less /var/log/samba/log.app160
> [2008/08/01 14:12:09, 0] passdb/pdb_tdb.c:tdb_update_ridrec_only(1308)
>    Unable to modify TDB passwd ! Error: Record does not exist
>     occured while storing the RID index (RID_000001f4)
> [2008/08/01 14:12:09, 1] auth/auth_sam.c:check_sam_security(316)
>    Failed to modify entry.
>
> Opinions welcome.
>
> --
>
> Jason N

I have same problem with adding user account (samba 3.2.3, tdbsam,
Fedora 9), "smbpasswd -a username" result is:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Unable to modify TDB passwd: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL!
Failed to add entry for user username.
Failed to modify password entry for user username

But adding user via "pdbedit -a -u username" works fine, as well as
smbpasswd in local mode "smbpasswd -a -L username".
And curious - deleting account via smbpasswd in client-server mode
is possible, changing password too.
Maybe some bug in smbpasswd code...

František Hanzlík