[Samba] setgid bit disappears

Vicente Martinez de Cestafe Ochoa de Eribe gomaran at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 18:30:17 GMT 2008

I have a samba server (without acls for better performance in ext3) with
shares where users create new directories and put their files.

I need the setgid bit to force the new directories and files to belong to a
shared group of users (not the primary group of the user that creates it).
When users create new directories the setgid bit is inherited and works
fine.

Users can set permissions for their new directories through the Windows
interface. But unfortunately then the setgid bit disappears.