[Samba] Lost most data on Windows XP machine switching to domain

Jesse Stone jstone1999 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 22:44:11 GMT 2008

Thank you for all the responses.  Thinking back on how I did it, I bet it
was a permissions issue which prevented the files from migrating to the
Samba server but that still shouldn't have caused them to be deleted.  The
files were complete gone.  I checked both the old non-domain directory and
the newly created domain directory.  I was able to recover 98% of the data
using a special recovery program my IT department provided me.

The option I had to use to find the files using the recovery software was
not "Accidently Deleted" but "Disk was formatted" which makes me think
whatever process distroyed the files did it in a way where they did not go
into the recycle bin but completely distroyed.

-Jesse