[Samba] Performance tweaking from Ubuntu to a Macbook vs. Windows through DLink DIR-655

Roy Abou Assaly royassaly at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 19:32:27 GMT 2008

Hi Everyone,

I've been happy with my setup the last 2 years, and I just bought a new
router - D-Link DIR-655.

I was connecting wireless and wired and noticed the following before
tweaking:

Wired 100 Mbps
==============
Macbook to Ubuntu: 56 Mbps
Windows to Ubuntu: 72 Mbps

Wireless N (Connected at 130 Mbps ... Apple's fault)
Macbook to Ubuntu: 20 Mbps
Macbook to Windows: 44 Mbps

That's a significant change.

So I changed the following line in Samba's smb.conf file:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536
SO_SNDBUF=65536

After this, I noticed the following:

Wireless:
=========

Macbook to Ubuntu: 44 Mbps, with peaks up to 48 Mbps.

That's nearly double the performance!! Wireless is basically what I was
unhappy about.

Does anybody have any SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF values that they care to share
that they have used in order to improve network performance? Btw, removing
those values gives close to the same result.

Oh, and all the above were using Samba shares. Just for kicks, I tested the
following over SFTP using FileZilla:

Macbook to Ubuntu: 60 Mbps <---- MY GOAL!

I'm hoping to achieve the above speed with the necessary tweaks. So I need
another 16 Mbps to squeeze out! Please note that I did all the above tests
using files larger than 1 GB to get a sustainable speed. I also did tests
using 1MB files and performance was similar.

Thanks guys! Any help is appreciated.