[Samba] Lost most data on Windows XP machine switching to domain

Jesse Stone jstone1999 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 17:52:52 GMT 2008

I'm wondering if anyone has run across that and MUCH more importantly, if
the data can be recovered somehow.

I'll put as much details as I can at the bottom but here's the gist of the
problem:

I added my wives computer (which contains 8 years worth of pictures) to the
domain.  When I logged into the new domain account it was empty and my wives
domain users had no access so I did the following:

1) Logged out of the domain account and back into the machine account
2) Added the domain user to the administrative group
3) MOVED (yes, I'm an idiot) everything from my wive's standard profile to
the domain profile
4) Logged back in with the domain account

Here's what happens:
a few random things where in the new domain.  For example, 1 bookmark (out
of about 50) was in my wive's favorites folder.  The "My Pictures" folder
contained "Sample Pictures" only.

My guess is that 1 of 2 things happened:

1) Samba didn't expect there to be data yet so started out with a fresh new
profile.  This doesn't explain how some (less than 1% of her data) is
available

2)  My wive is connecting to the domain via wireless.  Somehow, mid-copy the
wireless shut off and the data never made it to the roaming profile.

Please someone give me good news like "just do this and the data will be
recovered!"

OK, here's the details (which will show my lack of understanding):

I followed the following article when setting up Samba:
http://www.howtoforge.com/samba_setup_ubuntu_5.10_p4

The only changes I made are that I commented out the following lines
(believing this would STOP roaming profiles.  I did not actually want
roaming profiles and was only planning on setting the "My Documents" folder
to use server storage.

#logon drive = H:    <--  May use later for roaming profiles
#logon path = \\%N\profile\%U    <--  May use later for roaming profiles

(Note, the only thing this did is stop the drive letter from being set.  The
"profile" directly was still created, only under the /home/%user%/ directory
instead of /home/samba/profiles/)

Here's the entire smb.conf I am using:
[global]
workgroup = domaintest
netbios name = server3200
server string = File Server
passdb backend = tdbsam
security = user
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
domain logons = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
# Set CUPS for printing
printcap name = CUPS
printing = CUPS
# Default logon
#logon drive = H:
#logon script = scripts/logon.bat
#logon path = \\%N\profile\%U
# Useradd scripts
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false/ -d /var/lib/nobody %u
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
# sync smb passwords with linux passwords
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
passwd chat debug = yes
unix password sync = yes
# set the loglevel
log level = 3
[homes]
comment = Home
valid users = %S
read only = no
browsable = no
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = yes
guest ok = yes
browsable = no
[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/samba/netlogon
admin users = Administrator
valid users = %U
read only = no
[profile]
comment = User profiles
path = /home/samba/profiles
valid users = %U
create mode = 0600
directory mode = 0700
writable = yes
browsable = no

Please understand that my wife may well divorce me if I can't recover this
stuff.

-Jesse