[Samba] Password server is not connected - "cli not initilised" issue

Jake Carroll jake.carroll at uq.edu.au
Sat Oct 4 12:30:28 GMT 2008

Hi all,

We are currently upgrading some core infrastructure and authentication
hosts (Mac OS X 10.4.11 Open Directory/OpenLDAP/KDC --> 10.5.5). We've
run into an interesting snag however.

The Sun host that we use for sharing out files over Samba 3.0.28a
(Sun's currently shipped, supported version of Samba) worked perfectly
with the directory master running Mac OS X 10.4.11. When upgraded to
10.5.5 Server however, we are given the following errors on the samba/
Sun side of things:

[2008/10/04 17:40:59, 1, pid=2237] auth/auth_server.c:(247)
   password server is not connected (cli not initilised)

I have done a bit of searching and can't actually find out what this
*really* means.

Suffice to say, it is confusing, because, from a Mac OS X Leopard
client, we can:

smbclient -k //share.goes.here.now/share
mount_smbfs //user at share.goes.here.now/share /mount

...but in Mac OS X Leopard client finder/windows, we cannot!

We are attempting an upgrade of our samba version to 3.2.x, in a
slight attempt to see if this will resolve our problems, but we just
don't know what "cli not initilised" actually means, let alone how the
password server could possibly be disconnected, when it clearly works
with smbclient and mount_smbfs. Very confusing.

Thoughts/feedback are appreciated.

Thanks all.

JC