[Samba] processes not closing

Doug Tucker tuckerd at engr.smu.edu
Fri Oct 3 18:55:59 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 19:37 +0200, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, Doug,
>
> Du (tuckerd) meintest am 03.10.08:
>
> > Umm..ok.  I can just state the facts, I'm not pretending to
> > understand them.  To make sure I'm communicating properly, If I do:
>
> > /etc/init.d/smb restart
>
> > the old processes and locked files are gone
>
> Sure?
>
>         ps aux | grep [sn]mbd
>
> is more reliable. Ok - it only shows processes, no locked file.
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

Oh, you know what, I have provided some bad info, please forgive me.
I'm thinking one thing and you can't see what I'm doing.  At the OS
level, the process *IS* gone.  However, smbstatus still shows the
process alive, and the user cannot access the file until it no longer
shows up in smbstatus (such as on a samba restart).  Oddly, it even
shows up with the same pid as what you just killed.