[Samba] processes not closing

Doug Tucker tuckerd at engr.smu.edu
Fri Oct 3 17:15:57 GMT 2008

> When you've done a "restart" are there any of the old smbd
> processes left around ? If not, then you are incorrect, and
> a kill -9 does terminate them.'

Umm..ok.  I can just state the facts, I'm not pretending to understand
them.  To make sure I'm communicating properly, If I do:

/etc/init.d/smb restart

the old processes and locked files are gone

If I do (as root) from the command line:

kill -9 <pid>

on one of them, the process and locked file is still there.

It's as if it takes killing samba in it's entirety, for it to clear
itself out.

> No, smbd should go away once the client has disconnected
> (all calls on the socket will return -1 and smbd will
> terminate itself).

That's what I was understanding, but in some cases, it is not happening,
even on a "clean" disconnect of the client (such as an orderly user
shutdown of their box).