[Samba] Writing to shares directly

Rubin Bennett rbennett at thatitguy.com
Fri Oct 3 17:09:34 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 11:31 -0500, fixed wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> We are using Samba to create a redundant file system for failover between
> two servers. I am wondering if this is even a recommended use for Samba.
>
> For example:
>
> app01
> ------
> /data/shares/app01 (local)
> /data/shares/app02 (remote)
>
> app02
> -----
> /data/shares/app01 (remote)
> /data/shares/app02 (local)
>
> So we have written our apps to write to both shares - if one goes down,
> this isn't a bad thing as it will read from the local share.

I don't see any issue with this although there are perhaps better tools
for writing to 2 systems simultaneously such as DRBD.

Anyhoo, as I said before the issue that you'll need to be watchful of is
ensuring that the filesystem permissions remain compatible with how you
access the files via the samba shares.

A dirty hack may be to mount the local filesystem as a samba share and
not access it directly via the filesystem ever.

Rubin

--
Rubin Bennett
RB Technologies
rbennett at thatitguy.com
(802)223-4448

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too.
~Voltaire