[Samba] Samba WINS Server losing all elections against

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Thu Oct 2 14:54:34 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 02:04:11 pm ZeWaren / Erwan Martin wrote:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\"Ma
>intainServerList" to No

On the problem Windows boxen:
======================================
Besides setting:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList
to No
Also set:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster
to FALSE
======================================
But first test to see if the info below doesn't solve the problem before going
around hacking the registry on the Windows systems (and let us know!).

I use the following in my Samba PDC's:
======================================
os level = 255
announce version = 5.9
======================================

This was posted previously on the list:
"I find that values over 64 ofter return unexpected
results, and I've found that my Samba servers don't lose elections in
recent memory and I usually leave them at the default value in smb.conf
of 33."
Haven't personally verified that anything over 64 should be a problem. That
poster, myself, and others (I guess) were hoping for an official comment from
the developers.

Chris