[Samba] Server Migration Problem

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Thu Oct 2 09:02:00 GMT 2008

Hallo, Matt,

Du (matt.skerritt) meintest am 02.10.08:

> I am in the process of finishing a server migration (to a new
> server), and am having problems with samba on the new server.  The
> old server was running samba 3.0.22-r3 on a Gentoo machine, and the
> new server is running Samba 3.0.25a on a Solaris 10 machine. I have
> copied the files across OK, I have copied the samba configuration OK,
> samba runs fine, connects to the ldap backend fine, seems to check
> passwords fine, and even lets me connect to the file shares just
> fine.

> The problem is that the clients don't recognise the new server as
> their domain controller. Attempts to log in with a username that is
> not already cached on the client returns a "The domain <DOMAIN> is
> not available" error.  If I remove the computer from the domain, and
> then try reconnect it, it brings up the error saying "A domain
> controller for domain <DOMAIN> could not be contacted", and an
> advanced info button seems to indicate that I should check that my
> domain is registered properly in WINS.

Have you transferred the "localsid" from the old to the new server?

Sometimes that helps:

        change "domain logon" to "workgroup"; new start
        change "workgroup" to "domain logon"; new start

Sometimes you may need to change the computername too. But that leeds to
problems with the profile ...
The background may be some information about the old server is stored
somewhere in the client's registry.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut