[Samba] files disappearing from Samba server

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Thu Oct 2 06:24:00 GMT 2008

Hallo, Robert,

Du (rwickberg) meintest am 01.10.08:

> I'm the tech coordinator for a high school.  Last year, we had a file
> server kids could save work to that was a generic Celeron 800 PC with
> an IDE hard drive.  It ran Debian Sarge, with whatever version of
> Samba ships with that.  It was down to a couple of gig of free disk
> space by the end of the year, so this year I took an old Compaq
> Proliant server (ML360 or something like that) with a three drive
> RAID 5 SCSI array and installed Debian Etch on that with whatever
> version of Samba is shipped with that.  School's been in session a
> month now, and I've had dozens of kids come up to me and claim that
> they've written files to their mapped shares (P: maps to their home
> directory when they log onto a Windows machine), and the files have
> disappeared.

Strange.
I run a schoolserver (http://arktur.de) on many machines, in many
schools without these problems.
The servers use slackware - that's the only difference to your
configuration; Samba has versions from 3.0.22 to 3.2.3 (that differs
from school to school), there are at least two schools which run a
Compaq Proliant. Clients: from Windows 9x to Windows XP.
No such problems.

Can you see the files under Linux on the server?

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut