[Samba] can "root" still connect clients to a domain?

Wed Oct 1 13:28:14 GMT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 01:37:00PM +0200, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> when I connect a Windows client to a Samba domain I am asked for the
> user's login name and password on the Linux server who has the rights to
> do this job.
>
> Under Samba 3.0.22 and older I could use "root" with a password defined
> via "smbpasswd" (must not be the Linux password). Under Samba 3.0.28 and
> newer this way seems no more possible; I have to use another user from
> the "admin users = xxx, yyy, zzz" line.
>
> Is that a change which is somewhere documented?

Probably this has to do with group mapping changes. The
login as root should definitely still work, however root is
no longer automatically in the domain admins group (probably
required for accessing the client's c$ share). You have to
create an explicit group mapping entry for the sid

S-1-5-21-<DOMAIN-SID>-512

and make root member of the corresponding unix group.

Volker