[Samba] server change

Bill Szkotnicki bszk at uoguelph.ca
Sat Nov 29 12:18:20 GMT 2008

Hi,
Recently we changed our samba server to a bigger and more powerful system ( centos 5.2 )
The config file and smbpasswd and other passwd and group files were copied to the new server and it then assumed the same identity as the old one in the dns and ip address.
It seems to have gone very well except we now seem to have a problem.
There are windows XP workstations that were domain joined to the old server
and now connect well to the new one.
But if you try to login on one of these workstations with an ID that was not logged onto it previously it does not authenticate.
The solution is to unjoin and then rejoin the workstation but there are a lot of them and we don't want to do that.
Also it seems that this situation has arisen just recently and was working before on the new server and so I am wondering what could have happened earlier this week.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

Our server version is Version 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1

Bill