[Samba] Cannot Delete File

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Wed Nov 26 06:42:36 GMT 2008

I just upgraded  my Member Server to 3.2.4 on Ubuntu.

I have a permissions problem. Users can create files on the Samba shares
but they cannot delete files. Here is a typical share definition.

[Testing]
        comment = Test for Samba
        path = /files/test
        browseable = yes
        writeable = yes
        create mask = 0764
        directory mask = 0775

On the Linux side I can do whatever I want. On windows I can create
directories and delete them, I can create files, open them, modify them
and save them back, but any attempt to delete them fails with the error
"Cannot delete <filename>: Access is denied The source file may be in use."

On windows XP the file shows the domain user had Full Control and the
Domain User Group has read write control. The Linux permissions are 764
although some files are 770 even files with 777 permissions fail..

--
Robert Steinmetz, AIA
Principal