[Samba] Print only server

Matthew Daubenspeck matt at oddprocess.org
Tue Nov 25 03:20:27 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:43:28AM +0900, Michael Heydon wrote:
> Have you loaded the drivers onto the server or just set up the printer on
> the client and loaded the drivers there?
>
> If you load the drivers onto the client then the client will try to talk to
> the printer slightly differently than if it pulls the drivers from the
> server, the result is something like what you describe.
>
> The quick solution is "use client drivers = yes", the proper solution is to
> load the drivers onto the server.

I am trying to load the drivers via my WinXP workstation but all the
options listed to add drivers is greyed out. I am assuming this is the
case because I cannot connect as root (or any other user) due to the
face that since I wanted a complete open system, I had to use
security = share , correct? Whenever I have that set, windows will not
prompt me for a password and if I try to connect via net use, it
continues to say that the password or user is incorrect.

I would like to skip the "use client drivers = yes" for obvious reasons
of not having to have printer disks or drivers all over the place, plus
making it easy to add printers for my staff.

Is there no easy way to have an open ended system but still have the
ability to upload drivers to the samba server?
--
  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://oddprocess.org

Gentoo Linux i686 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5420 @ 2.50GHz
22:15:56 up 6 days, 5:36, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00