[Samba] Problem with Samba

Ross, Brian Brian.Ross at dec.wa.gov.au
Mon Nov 24 02:26:34 GMT 2008

Yes, another newbie asking for help.  Please bear with me.  I don't doubt my problem has a simple solution but it has me stumped.

I have a solaris server which carries some confidential financial information on it.  I have been asked to install samba on it to share out a particular directory.  They obviously want to restrict access to this information.  We run a Windows 2003 domain as well.  My problem is that I cannot get my samba server to ask for user authentication (or rather, I can, if I slightly change the smb.conf file but then it asks for "Guest" rather than the user designated).   My smb.conf file is:

[global]
        workgroup = CALM
        server string = calm-kens-27
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = 192.147.114.4, 192.147.114.17
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba
        max log size = 200
        ; min protocol = NT1
        ; preferred master = No
        ; local master = No
        ; domain master = No
        ; browse list = No
        ; enhanced browsing = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.147.114.4
        ; ldap ssl = no
        hosts allow = localhost,calm-kens-27,192.147.114.,192.147.114.54,10.20.201.59,10.20.200.119,10.20.201.88,10.20.201.175
        hosts deny = All
        ;hosts allow = all
        encrypt passwords = yes
        browseable = no
        ;smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[CBA]
        path = /u02/prod/clmfinpr/clmfinprappl/calm/11.5.0/secure
        comment = "DEC read only share"
        read only = Yes
        guest ok = no
        ;force user = finance
        ;force group = sw_user
        hide dot files = No
        inherit permissions = Yes

On another not unrelated problem, I am unable to get SWAT to work.   I keep getting the message:

"This document contains no data, Try again later or contact the domain's administrator"

Any idea about how to get it working (this I suspect will help me to cure my configuration problem).

Cheers

Brian

Brian Ross

This email, together with any attachments, is intended for the
addressee only. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please notify
the sender, delete the email and attachments from your system and
destroy any copies you may have taken of the email and its attachments.
Duplication or further distribution by hardcopy, by electronic means
or verbally is not permitted without permission.