[Samba] User Authentication and Username Map

Alec Joseph Rivera eijhei at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 10:34:50 GMT 2008

Hi to all..

I've setup a Samba domain and now having a hard time setting up Unix to
Windows user mapping. As an example on the server, user is 'agi', and at the
workstation I want an 'Alec Joseph' as the user name. If I log on from a
Linux desktop using the alias connection goes through:

# sudo tail -f /usr/local/samba/var/log.smbd | grep 'Alec Joseph'

  Got user=[Alec Joseph] domain=[RIVERA-HOME] workstation=[THREEPIO] len1=24
len2=24
  Mapped user Alec Joseph to agi
  check_ntlm_password:  Checking password for unmapped user
[RIVERA-HOME]\[Alec Joseph]@[THREEPIO] with the new password interface
  check_ntlm_password: sam authentication for user [Alec Joseph] succeeded
  check_ntlm_password:  authentication for user [Alec Joseph] -> [agi] ->
[agi] succeeded
  register_existing_vuid: User name: agi        Real name: Alec Joseph
Rivera,,,

However, on a Windows workstation, I can not log on and getting these on the
log:

  SAM Logon (Interactive). Domain:[RIVERA-HOME].  User:[Alec Joseph at HAN]
Requested Domain:[RIVERA-HOME]
  check_ntlm_password:  Checking password for unmapped user
[RIVERA-HOME]\[Alec Joseph]@[HAN] with the new password interface
  check_ntlm_password:  mapped user is: [RIVERA-HOME]\[Alec Joseph]@[HAN]
  check_sam_security: Couldn't find user 'Alec Joseph' in passdb.
  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [Alec Joseph] -> [Alec Joseph]
FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

From what I understand, the Windows workstation is forcing a lookup on the
tdbsamdb backend right? On the manuals I've read that the mapping is done
after the authentication...

How can I get the same behavior as from a Linux workstation? Also I can see on
the logs a "Error permission denied" on the username map file, is this in a
way related?

Thanks...

Ohayou gozaimas,
Agi