[Samba] [OT] Outlook and roaming profiles?

Rubin Bennett rbennett at thatitguy.com
Thu Nov 20 21:41:20 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 22:02 +0100, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 20. November 2008 21:36:17 schrieb Thierry Lacoste:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Are there any recommandations about the maximum size of a pst file
> > hosted on a samba server ?
>
> Simply don't do it. There are technical reasons why this is unreliable,
> dangerious and generally not recommended.
>
> see also:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019
> http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/01/21/network-stored-pst-files-
> don-t-do-it.aspx
>
> Actually things are even worse than the above mentioned articles may make you
> think. Deadlocks and dataloss are part of the problem.
>
> I propose to look into a imap server based solution like Kolab www.kolab.org.
>
> Regards,
> -- martin

I'm assuming this question is driven by your usage of Outlook against a POP server or something like that?  The easiest and best way to get around this is to not user POP3, and deploy a proper IMAP or MAPI server.
Courier, Dovecot and Cyrus all do IMAP but Outlook is a lousy IMAP client.  My favorite way to address this need (implying that I actually think Outlook, for all it's technical flaws, is a good tool from a user perspective) is to deploy Scalix as the mailserver.  If you're running a small network (under 10 Outlook users), Scalix is free and it works *very well*.
We use it here, and we have client machines running Windows Vista/ Oulook 2007, Linux/ Evolution and Linux/ Kontact (KMail) and they all work great.

Rubin
--
Rubin Bennett
rbTechnologies, LLC

(802)223-4448
http://thatitguy.com

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."
  Voltaire, Essay on Tolerance
  French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)