[Samba] Users not able to change password [SOLVED]

Peter Van den Wildenbergh peter at srecengineering.com
Wed Nov 19 14:42:21 GMT 2008

Adam Williams wrote:
> take these out of your smb.conf, you don't need them since you have
> ldap passwd sync = yes
>
> passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd %u
> passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
> *all*authentication*tokens*updated*
>   unix password sync = yes
>   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

Hi Adam / Mario,

Thank you for the hints.

The LDAP config was correct

access to
attrs=userPassword,sambaLMPassword,sambaNTPassword,deliveryMode,mailRe
plyText
        by dnattr=administrator write
        by self write
        by anonymous auth
        by * none

access to *
        by * read

Adam pointed me into the right direction I had 2x passwd program &
passwd chat in my config.
Kind'a unbelievable that I didn't see that... :-s

I left the smbldap-passwd lines but took out the 'default' and again
MAGIC... all working :-)
(The default were below the LDAP lines so they 'overruled' what was
defined first.)

Thanks for the help!

Peter