[Samba] Outlook and roaming profiles?

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Nov 19 09:08:36 GMT 2008

Ong Chin Kiat schrieb:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm trying to migrate from a workgroup based Samba server to a domain based
> Samba server.
>
> I need the following features
> - Roaming profiles
> - LDAP based user administration / authentication
>
> I think the LDAP part is mostly doable, though I do foresee some hair
> tearing, but my main concern is with the roaming profiles.
>
> Users do not have a fixed workstation and log-on to whichever workstation is
> available. However, they need to be access their mail through Outlook. This
> is the crucial point. AFAIK, there is no way to use Outlook with roaming
> profiles. A quick search on the Microsoft website indicates that I would
> need an Exchange server to implement roaming profiles+mail.
>
> My question is - can it be done without Exchange (ie using PST files)? My
> understanding is that the size of the PST files prohibits roaming profiles.
> FWIW, my mail configuration is IMAP based, not POP-based, so it _might_ make
> the PST files smaller, though I'm not sure.
>
> Thanks.
Hi,
you may put pst files on a samba share, as the place
where they get hosted is free configurable in outlook
i e. you can setup their default place with an adm
to users home which has normally nothing to do with profile share
but as default a pst file can only be opened by one user at the same
time, the other problem is open big pst files over the network
is very slow and may damage the pst file,
better use an internal imap server like dovecot

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria