[Samba] erratic winbind authentication

Robert Steinmetz AIA rob at steinmetznet.com
Tue Nov 18 17:51:25 GMT 2008

I have had a long term problem with my set up. winbind authentication is
erratic.

Whenever I restart one of my servers the member server refuses to
authenticate users. Sometimes is will only authenticate some users on
some shares. Usually by fiddling with it I can eventually get it to work
but I can't identify the solution so I can replicate it. Once I get can
finally get it to work it works fine until the next restart.

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS AMD 64
Samba Version 3.0.28a

I have an NT style domain with XP pro desktops.
1 -PDC
1- Member Server
No AD No LDAP

--